Many people spend the majority of their days at work doing a variety of duties like talking, learning, and inspiring new ideas. As a result, they require ergonomic furniture. While a chair can be removed at any moment, a desk must be present at all times. It should also provide a comfortable environment for productive day-to-day work. Do you know how to choose a desk for your workplace?
An ergonomic workstation is essential for anyone who is going to set up a home office. If you are going to use a worktop or a kitchen table as a desk, or create your own, some parameters must be kept in mind to ensure that your body is in the proper position.
You could also consider purchasing a standing desk. It can come in a variety of forms. If you are interested, you can find out more by clicking on the link.
How Do I Choose The Right Desk?
The table should be chosen with caution because this piece of furniture will be with you for more than a year. Let’s consider the most significant characteristics that make a good desk.
Tables come in a variety of shapes. In a small space, you are unlikely to want to buy a table that is as functional as possible yet takes up the entire room. Here are the most common desk options:
- It is a standard rectangle desk with a tabletop made of different materials.
- It is attached to the wall. This option enables you to make extra space in the room. Nonetheless, you should use caution while designing the space, as such a desk can be difficult to shift to another location.
- A desk-cabinet. It opens to generate a laptop workplace and closes to take up no more space than a regular wall cabinet. This desk has drawers that can be locked with a key.
- A desk-bureau. It is similar to a dresser. It has a desktop, multiple drawers, and shelves. Some modern desk-bureaus are key-locked and serve as both a laptop table and a paper organizer.
A rectangle is the most common desktop shape. The working surface is typically 60 cm wide, with a length ranging from 1 m to 1.5 m.
According to sanitary standards, the height of the desk should be at least 75-80 cm for an adult. For people taller than 175 cm, the desk’s height grows correspondingly.
To choose a desk of an appropriate height, grab a chair, and take a seat at the desk. Your elbows should be bent at a 90-degree angle. The same is true for height-adjustable desks. Bend your elbows and place them on the working surface while standing – it is the optimal height for the desktop.
The desk’s cost and characteristics are also determined by the material used to construct it:
- It is made of wood chips, glued into plates using formaldehyde resins. It is a lightweight, low-cost material. To make the plate watertight, one puts a protective coating on the surface. When chipboard is exposed to water without this layer, it swells.
- In glass tables, their countertops, shelves, and decorative components are usually employed are made of glass, while the frame is made of metal. Despite its appearance of lightness and fragility, the glass in such tables is reinforced and shockproof. One of the main disadvantages is that glass and metal are cold to the touch, and if an object falls on the glass, it causes a loud rumbling.
- It is made of fine wood chips that have been compressed under pressure. The material is uniform and robust. Moreover, it is more environmentally friendly than chipboard. Therefore, it is also more expensive by 30-50%.
- Natural wood. This material has an extremely extended service life. To make the table resistant to moisture and fire, the wood is treated, polished, saturated with particular chemicals, and varnished. Natural wood can be quite costly.
- Plastic is light and smooth. Nonetheless, the plastic surface is susceptible to scratches and hot cups. Moreover, it may be destroyed if a large object falls on it.
- Metal tables are divided into two types: those that contain elements of other materials and those that are fully constructed of metal. Aluminium is a light material with a matte cover that is often used to make desks. Stainless steel and black chrome-plated steel are also very popular due to their finish.
When it comes to desk material, it is important to remember that before you buy any table, you should find out what material its metal accessories and connecting elements are made of. Aluminium is commonly utilized because it is affordable. Nonetheless, it can bend over time. So, avoid it.
You now have a better understanding of the important features to look for when selecting an appropriate desk. Do not rush into a decision because it will have a direct impact on your health and well-being.
Hayley Mann is a technology enthusiast specializing in automation methods of ergonomics devices. Her engineering background helps her to create interesting articles on technical topics, making them understandable for all readers.